Monday, August 31, 2009

Crazy Quilting and Table Runners

Hi! I'm back for now and I'm here with another tutorial. But first, let me thank all of you for your amazing comments. If you are one of the people who posted who wanted to send me scraps, the scraps only have to be around 2 inches square, but only that because I am doing English Paper Piecing. But that tutorial is for another day. Today I am going to be talking about creating crazy quilt squares.

First you need to gather some supplies. With crazy quilts you can use the tiniest of scraps. Here are mine:

You will also need a sewing machine and some foundation squares. I am making rather small squares (3.5") but the normal size is around 12" square.








The first step is to take 2 tiny scraps with just one side that is about the same length and place them right sides together on the base square.


Now you stitch them with a quarter inch seam allowance and press them open.




Now continue to add scraps until the entire base is covered. Then you trim it and press it flat.


And here is the beautiful finished block:


We'll work on the embroidery and embellishing another day! There's one last project I want to show you before I leave... it's a table runner that I created for a challenge.

I think the colors turned out gorgeous... what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jordan, I just wanted to say what a great inspiration you are! It's good to see someone as young as you that is interested in quilting and such. I started my facination with crafting when I was young. I started crocheting then just general crafts. Now I love decorative painting, sewing, embroidering,and crafts in general. Keep up the good work!
    If you have a chance please visit my blog at:
    http://loveyatostitches.blogspot.com
    Please leave me a comment, I would appreciate it!
    I came to your blog from Aunt Pitty Pat's.
    Take care!
    Sandy
    :)

    ReplyDelete